A taste of Japan in just 9 days. This itinerary is perfect for those who have limited time but want to experience Japan at its fullest. You will see the most iconic places in the country and glimpse into its rich and ancient culture. You’ll have time to explore the ultra-modern high-tech city of Tokyo, wander through beautifully kept traditional gardens, visit peaceful temples in Kyoto and enjoy the stunning nature and picturesque views of Mount Fuji from Hakone National Park.
Please remember this is a sample itinerary to inspire you and we are happy to modify it to suit your plans. We can add or remove days, experiences or activities, include additional destinations or remove any that you do not wish to visit on this trip. To start planning your holiday, give us a call on (UK) 020 7112 0019 or email email@example.com.
- All the guided tours listed in this itinerary will be done with public transport, which is tremendously efficient, convenient and economical in Japan. If you prefer to use private transport, please let us know when you enquire and we can arrange it for you at an additional cost.
- We think that staying at a Ryokan is a great way to fully immerse yourself in traditional Japanese culture, however, if you prefer to stay in western-style accommodation instead (that offers dinner and hot springs) please let us know and we will be happy to arrange it for you. For more information about ryokans, click here.
DAY 1 - WELCOME TO TOKYO
You will be met in the arrival hall of the airport by your personal agent who will give you a warm welcome to Japan and will assist you with the included shared transfer to the charming Niwa hotel. After check in, the rest of the day is at your leisure, to relax after your flight or, if you prefer, you can start exploring this eclectic city on your own.Accommodation
DAY 2 - DISCOVER TOKYO WITH A LOCAL
Your local guide will show you the highlights of this fascinating city by public transport. You will visit the outside of the Imperial Palace, Tokyo’s old town in Asakusa where you can soak in the atmosphere of the ancient Edo and visit the famous Sensoji, Tokyo’s oldest temple.
Finish your day at Meiji Shrine, a wonderful shrine dedicated to the deified spirit of Emperor Meiji.
- Dining suggested option: Tokyo Local Food tour
DAY 3 - EXPLORING TOKYO
Day at leisure to explore Tokyo, one of the world’s most cutting-edge capitals! We have some suggestions for you on how to spend your day:
- Tsukiji market and sushi making in a traditional home
- Sumo wrestling
- Explore the ancient Kamakura (day trip)
DAY 4 - HAKONE, THE GATEWAY TO THE MT FUJI REGION
Head south to Hakone, a breathtaking region well known for the beauty of its nature and the relaxing Japanese hot springs baths. Explore this amazing area by ropeways, buses and even a pirate ship for a cruise ship across the volcanic Lake Ashi with views of Mt Fuji.
Finish your day with a tasty homemade dinner at Shinanoki Ichinoyu ryokan, a traditional Japanese style inn, where you will spend your night today. Relax in the on-site hot springs, and sleep like the locals do since centuries ago.Accommodation
DAY 5 - BULLET TRAIN TO KYOTO AND TEA CEREMONY
Travel to Kyoto by bullet train with the included tickets and experience the speed and comfort of one the fastest and more safe trains in the world.
After checking in to your lovely boutique hotel Enso Ango Fuya II, you will be picked up by your personal assistant by private car to drive you to the tea master’s home in Kyoto to take part of a private and intimate tea ceremony.Accommodation
DAY 6 - DISCOVER KYOTO WITH A LOCAL
Your private guide will pick you up at your hotel to show you some of the best places of the fantastic city!
Visit first one of the most famous temples in Japan, the Golden Pavilion, Nijo Castle and finish the day in Nishiki Market, a narrow street full of food shops, fresh seafood and vegetables, sweets, sushi and much more!
Afternoon/evening activity suggestions:
DAYS 7 & 8 - EXPERIENCING THE ANCIENT IMPERIAL CAPITAL
Your last day is at leisure to explore further Kyoto, the cultural centre of Japan!
Our activity suggestions:
- Meet and greet airport service upon arrival
- Transfers from airport to hotel on arrival and from your hotel to airport on your departure day
- Accommodation on B&B basis
- All excursions, activities and meals mentioned in the itinerary
- All entrance fees with service of English speaking guides for excursions
- Transport as described
- A PASMO subway card recharged with 2500 JPY
- Local taxes
- All trips are ATOL protected or ABTA bonded to ensure you are fully covered
- Optional suggested day trips/experiences
- International flights