Travel Essentials

Get the full list of travel essentials for Slovenia. Learn valuable visa and safety information about Slovenia before your trip.

Before you go:

  • Visas & Passports – Passports must be valid for at least 6 months. Visas are not necessary for EU passport holders. Other nationalities should check with their local Italian embassy.
  • Insurance – We strongly recommend that you take out a policy to cover theft, loss, and medical issues. Please visit our page on travel insurance for further information. It is a good idea to photocopy and scan all relevant documents – passport, travel insurance policy, etc. – and leave one copy at home. Carry another copy with you, separate from the originals and digital versions on your smartphone.
  • Electricity – 220v. You will need UK-European Plug adaptors.
  • Health – Whilst insects aren’t a big problem it’s worth taking mosquito repellents as they can occasionally make an appearance in the evening.
  • Currency – Euros are easy to get in the UK and it’s worth shopping around to avoid airport rates. If you are very organised you can get a pre-paid currency card, which you can use in a similar way to a debit card. We recommend Revolut and Monzo.
  • Clothing – The temperature varies enormously depending on the time of year. Have a read of our weather guide
  • WiFi – The majority of hotels and restaurants have free unlimited WiFi.
  • Language – English is widely spoken throughout Slovenia, and many will also speak Croatian, German and Italian depending on what area you are in.
  • Festivals & Public Holidays – Consult your destination specialist when you have the dates for your trip and they can advise.

Getting around and driving.

  • Parking –  Some hotels, especially in historic town centres, charge extra for parking. Please check this with us in advance.
  • Driving Licence – Taxis and private transfers in Slovenia can be expensive and in more rural areas, taxis can be difficult to book. In view of this, we strongly recommend hiring a car, as this is the most efficient and cost-effective way of travelling around Italy during your holiday. Depending on your country of residence, you may require an International Driving Permit in order to hire a car in Italy, and we advise that you check your country’s travel guidelines in advance of your trip to allow time to apply for this if necessary. The UK photo driving licence is accepted by all car rental companies. Although not all companies require a Driving License Code, we would recommend obtaining one before you collect your car. This can be done through the DVLA website ( and you will need:
  • US Customers – If you are coming from the United States, you should obtain an International Driving Permit before leaving the US